The parish contains a designated conservation area which
gives it a 'chocolate box feel' and highly prized by the
Canon Peter Binnall who lived in the village during his
retirement published in 1985 a history entitled, 'Hemswell
1086 - 1901'.
It has a Parish Council which meets in the Village Hall.
The Village Hall is the former school built in 1859 which
is shared with the neighbouring village of Harpswell.
The Church of All Saints is an ancient structure given
a new tower in 1762 - 4, and shorn of its south aisle in
1754 and the church was rebuilt in 1846.