Heapham Wind Mill
Hewitts windmill is a renovated Tower mill with sails
(non working). It was built by the millwright Johnson of
Low Burnham near Haxey in 1876 to replace a post mill.
It worked until around 1950 when it was struck by lightning
and damaged. The late Mr Hewitt, the owner, repaired the
mill and set it to work once more, being awarded an S.P.A.B.
'Windmill Certificate' in recognition of his efforts in
1952. Mr Hewitt wrote a book on the windmill.
Lightning struck again in 1956, wrecking the mill by breaking
the iron winds shaft in two, dumping the sails on the ground
and smashing them to pieces. The damage was too great to
repair and the mill was abandoned. Some of the parts (two
pairs of stones, their fittings and gear) was taken out
and put into Heage mill in Derbyshire when that mill was
being renovated in 1973.