Corringham - Corringham
Parva and Corringham Magna
Corringham is a civil parish
within the West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England. It
comprises the two contiguous villages of Great Corringham and
Little Corringham and has a total resident population of 430.
It is 2 miles (3.2 km) east of Gainsborough and 9 miles (14.5
km) south of Scunthorpe.
Geographically it is the largest parish by acreage.
It is comprised of several hamlets; Aisby, Bonsdale, Dunstall,
Gilby Huckerby, Somerby, and Yawthorpe
This is one the oldest parishes in Lincolnshire - with Anglo
Saxon beginnings and giving its name to a Wapentake, a Prebendary,
and a rural deanery.
An Estate village, with substantial modern housing development.
It is an agricultural village.
It has a pro active Parish Council which meets on the first Tuesday
of the month.
There is a play field with a village pond.
The village school is a church foundation of 1867 by Sir
Thomas Beckett Bart; which has witnessed modern additions
during the last few years.
It once had three Methodist chapels, two have survived,
one is part of the village hall whilst the other is now
a private residence.
The former Blacksmiths is now the garage.
A former toll house still stands on the High St.
The former vicarage was built in 1744.
Somerby Hall became the focal point in the late 18c when Sir
John Beckett purchased the village and it was his son, Sir Thomas
Beckett who made a significant contribution to creating the Corringham
we enjoy today.His daughter, Mary, restored the church employing
Bodley and Garner to carry out the restoration work.
| St Laurence's
A Grade 1 Listed Church.Featured in Sir Simon Jenkin's
'One Thousand Best Churches' [ 1999] restored by Sir
G F Bodley and Thomas Garner.
Today the village has no post office or general
store.However it has a public house and motel - the Beckett
Arms, a garage that has a small shop attached.And it boasts
of an excellent Pork Butchery which Clarissa Dickson - Wright
visited and patronised! Corringham is on a bus route. It does
have a small surgery which acts as a post office once a week.
It has a village hall or rather two halls for
hire with kitchen facilities.The former chapel was pressed into
community service with a modern addition alongside it.
Peacock & Billington's serve the agricultural
community far and wide from its base on the High St.
There are plans for Gainsborough's expansion and
land on the southern edge at Somerby, bordering onto the Town
is identifed for housing and also on the northern edge. Such
proposed development will significantly impact upon the character
and population of the Parish bring new challenges and expectations.
If these plans materialise it will make Corringham the largest
settlement in West Lindsey after Gainsborough and possibly lead
to the renaming of the ward to Corringham Ward.
- A Steward of the Environment
There were two important spheres of influence
in Corringham; The Old Hall and Somerby Hall. The Old Hall which
is on medieval foundations belonged to the Waterton family.They
were Catholics and as a result of their religion lost their
estates in the reign of Henry VIII. Sir Robert Waterton, Lord
of the Manor was knighted on 14 of November 1501 on the marriage
of Prince Arthur and Katherine of Aragon. He died 26 February
1540. One of his descendants was implicated in the Gunpowder
Plot in 1605. Another descendant was Charles Waterton 1782 -
1865, English Naturalist, Explorer of South America and Environmentalist.
He lived at Walton Hall the grounds of which he made into the
world's first nature reserve and wild park. One claim to fame
was that he invented the first bird nesting boxes.
Grocer cum artist 3 June 1872 - 1932 who was born
at Huckerby into a farming family. He attended the Queen Elizabeth
Grammar School, Gainsborough, now the Hickman Hill Hotel.When
he left school he became an apprenticed grocer in Brigg. In
1898 this apprenticed grocer opened his first shop in Grimsby.
He took up his palette drawn by the Lincolnshire landscape and
was self taught. He was to exhibit in Paris and at the Royal
Academy. He appreciated Lincolnshire, "One gets such wonderful
sky effects". He died 8 Dec 1932 aged 60 and was interred in
the churchyard at St Nicholas' Great Coates, where he had retired.
Rollett was rediscovered in 2005 with the publication of a book
by Allen Smith.
Gowin Knight - Scientist
(baptized 10 Sept. 1713, Corringham, Lincolnshire, England.-
died 8 June, 1772, London)
Baptised at Corringham, Lincolnshire, on 10 September
1713, he was the son of Robert Knight, vicar of that place.
His father was a virtuoso who collected coins and medals. He
was an English scientist and inventor whose work in the field
of magnetization led to significant improvements in the magnetic
In 1744 Knight exhibited powerful bar magnets
before the Royal Society of London, proving that he had discovered
a greatly improved method of magnetizing steel. Knight then
turned his attention to the compasses used by mariners. He found
the needles to be crudely magnetized and inaccurate and suggested
the now common rhomboidal shape and an improved suspension.
After experimentation by the Royal Navy, his new compass became
Mrs Pat Greatorex published a book on Corringham,
'Saved by the Bell', 1990.